By the way, some morons have gumbo recipes that don't have okra. The word "gumbo" comes from the Congolese word for okra, "quingombo". Making Gumbo without Okra is like making beef stew without beef.
This recipe makes six servings, served with rice.
1/2 pound chicken sausage, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
1 (2 pound) skinless, boneless chicken, cut into parts
1/3 cup of corn starch
1/2 cup of minced garlic
1 cups chopped onion
1 minced stalk of celery
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup of corn
1/2 cup of carrots
1/2 cup of green peas
1 1/2 cups of chopped okra
1/3 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
4 tablespoons minced garlic
1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
2 cups of water
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup of diced tomatoes
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
- In a medium skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat. Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels to remove some of the fat. Discard fat in pan.
- In a iron or stainless steel pot, heat oil over high heat. Brown chicken pieces in hot oil. Add minced onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Turn frequently until golden brown on all sides and vegetables caramelized.
- In a cup, dissolve the corn starch in a cup of chicken stock/ broth and add to the Make a roux by whisking corn starch into the pot, slowly adding the second cup of stock/ broth and stir slowly.
- As the pot starts to simmer, add the sausage, onion, green onion tops, okra, green pepper, parsley, and garlic. Cook over low heat until the pot gently boils.
- Stir in 2 cups water, 1 cup of tomatoes, and spices. Simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add shrimp to gumbo; cook for about 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove bay leaves. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Serve gumbo in deep bowls. garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Saute meat and half of the garlic, onions, green pepper, and okra in skillet with olive oil.
- Place contents of skillet in a crock pot.
- Add liquid and other ingredients.
- set crock pot on hight until boils and reduce to low over night.
- let cool and place in fridge, reheat and serve.