Traditional Cajun Red Beans used andouille sausage, a German originated sausage with a very smokey flavor. There is a chicken version, which can be hard to find in some places, so I recommend using Hardwood Smoked Turkey Kielbasa or Hot Turkey Italian Sausage.
- Rinse and soak beans by your preferred method.
- Chop onions, celery, garlic, pepper, and cilantro
- Dice or mince sausage
- In a large pot, add and heat oil. Add onions, garlic, green pepper and half of the cilantro, and about a handful of minced sausage to the oil and sauté.
- Add beans and seasonings and mix well. Add 4-5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for approx 3 hours.
- Add sausage and allow to simmer for an additional 30 minutes
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over your favorite rice.
NOTE If using Italian Sausage or Kielbasa, you'll want to sear it in a frying pan prior to dicing or mincing and adding to the beans.