RECIPE: Pulpeta without Pork
Peace & Blessings Everybody,
|Pulpeta Without Pork|
Pulpeta is likened to meatloaf, but it's really more like a sausage when you consider the seasoning of the meat. Here's how to do it.
Ingredients for loaf:
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- ½ lb. Ground turkey
- 3/4 cup of ground chicken.
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 tsps salt.
- 3 tsps ground pepper
- 1 tsp of powdered garlic
- 3 tsps of mayonnaise or olive oil
- 2 tsps ground sage
- 3 tsps paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 3 hard boiled eggs
Prepping The Ground Chicken:
- Using baked or broiled chicken, grind or chop into fine bits and place 3/4 of a cup in mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tsp of salt, and 1tsp of pepper, 1 tsp of powdered garlic and 3 tsps of mayonnaise or olive oil into bowl.
- blend well until mixture is evenly distributed.
- Set aside to add to loaf.
Make the loaf:
Wash your hands up to your elbows and get ready to dig in.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground turkey and ground chicken.
- To this meat mixture add 1 cup of breadcrumbs, 2 beaten eggs, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano and knead it together until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Shape this mixture into an oblong loaf.
- Take the 2 hard-boiled eggs and push them into the loaf, so that they end up right in the center of the loaf, end to end. Shape the meat back into its oblong shape.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Best if you give it 20 - 24 hours.
Ingredients for loaf coating:
- Another cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 more beaten eggs
- Put the rest of the breadcrumbs on a flat plate.
- Put the other 2 beaten eggs on another plate.
- Carefully roll the loaf in the beaten eggs, then roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat.
Ingredients for sauce:
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- ½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 large can tomato puree
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup of olives with pimentos
- 1 small can sweet peas
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large shallow frying pan, gently brown the loaf on all sides in olive oil. You are basically searing the outside until it creates a nice, crunchy crust.
- In a pot with a heavy bottom, heat the olive oil and add the garlic, peppers and onions. Cook until soft. Add tomato sauce, white wine, pimientos, peas and bay leaf.
- Gently place the seared meat into this mixture and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Spoon the sauce over the meat occasionally as it cooks.